The ultimate accessibility tool
ZoomText Magnifier/Reader is a fully integrated magnification and reading program tailored for low-vision users. Magnifier/Reader enlarges and enhances everything on your computer screen, echoes your typing and essential program activity, and automatically reads documents, web pages, email.
Full range of magnification levels up to 36x (up to 60x in Windows 8). Levels include: 1x to 8x in steps of 1, 10x to 16x in steps of 2, 20x to 36x in steps of 4, and fractional powers of 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x and 2.5x. 30 levels of magnification in ZoomText 10.1: 1x to 2x in steps of 0.2; 2.25x, 2.5x, 2.75x, 3x, 3.5x, 4x, 4.5x, 5x, 6x, 7x, 8x; 10x to 16x in steps of 2; 20x to 36x in steps of 4; 42x, 48x, 54x, and 60x.
You can zoom in and out using All Zoom Levels, Favorite Zoom Levels Only or Whole Power Levels Only. Favorite Zoom Levels uses a custom set of user-defined zoom levels for zooming in and out. You can choose any combination of zoom levels to define your favorite zoom levels.
Support for Touch Screen Devices
ZoomText 10.1 features support for touch screen devices including tablets, laptops and desktop monitors. ZoomText follows along as you tap, drag and swipe your way through all of your applications. And you can instantly access key ZoomText features using the ZoomText Touch Icon and gestures. Note: Requires a 5-point or greater multi-touch device.
Exclusive to ZoomText 10.1 for Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Reads aloud in natural sounding voices
ImageReader comes with premium male and female voices for reading captured text. English-Only versions of ImageReader come with NeoSpeech English voices, while the new Multilingual Edition comes with NeoSpeech English voices plus the new library of “ZoomText Voices”. You will have over 70 premium-quality voices for the most commonly spoken languages and dialects from around the world to choose from.
Complete Screen Reading
Automatically speaks all program controls, including menus, dialogs, list views and messages. Three verbosity levels give you complete control over the amount of information spoken.
ZoomText’s powerful screen reading options let you hear what you are doing. As you type text, use the mouse and navigate through your applications, ZoomText narrates and confirms each of your actions. By adjusting ZoomText’s echo settings, ZoomText can speak as little or as much as you want.
Typing Echo Typing Echo allows you to hear the keys and words that you type. You can choose to have individual keys, words, or both spoken. Whatever your choice, you’ll be able to type with greater speed and accuracy.
Mouse Echo Mouse Echo automatically reads text beneath the mouse pointer. As you move the pointer across the screen, single words or complete lines of text are echoed. Mouse echo is great for exploring the layout of your desktop and applications, or for spot reading in documents, web pages and email.
Program Echo speaks window titles, menus, dialogs, list views, and all other program controls as you navigate and use your applications. As each window or control becomes active, program echo announces its name and description, so you always know where you are and what choices are available. Program echo is your personal navigation system.
Verbosity allows you to adjust the amount of information spoken by the program echo feature. Three verbosity levels – Beginner, Intermediate and Expert – allow you to quickly increase or decrease the verbosity. Beginner verbosity provides more information, while Expert verbosity provides less information. Each of these verbosity levels can be fully customized according to your personal needs.
Enhanced Screen Colors
Innovative color controls improve screen clarity and reduce eyestrain. Special effects include color dyes, two-color modes and replacement of problem colors.
NeoSpeech provides human-sounding male and female voices that are closer to the real thing than ever before (English only). ZoomText also includes classic TruVoice and Microsoft speech synthesizers.
ZoomText provides a library of built-in speech synthesizers, providing a variety of male and female voices to choose from. The impressive ZoomText Voices provide human-sounding voices that are closer to the real thing than ever before.
Automatic Document Reading
ZoomText’s AppReader automatically reads documents, web pages and email within the parent application. ZoomText’s DocReader reads documents in a special environment where text is reformatted for easier viewing.
ZoomText offers a variety of tools for quick and easy reading of documents, web pages and email. Each of these tools has unique characteristics that lend themselves to particular reading tasks.
AppReader reads documents, web pages and email, within the parent application. As you enter and exit AppReader your view of the document does not change, providing quick and seamless transitions between document editing and reading. AppReader can automatically read through the entire document, or you can manually read by word, line, sentence or paragraph. As reading occurs, each spoken word is highlighted. AppReader settings allow you to customize the appearance of word highlighting, including the highlight shape, size, color and transparency level.
DocReader reads documents, web pages and email, in a special environment where text is reformatted for easier viewing. Text is presented in a single line (Ticker) or wrapped lines (Prompter), with your choice of fonts, colors, word highlighting, and magnification level. DocReader can automatically read through an entire document, or you can manually read by word, line, sentence or paragraph. As reading occurs, each spoken word is highlighted. The DocReader screen occupies the entire display with a toolbar at the top of the screen and the document text below it. The document text is formatted and displayed according to the current DocReader settings.
The ZoomText Recorder allows you to turn text from documents, webpages, email, etc. into audio recordings that you can transfer to on your mobile device and listen to at your convenience. Recordings can be saved directly to a ZoomText Recorder playlist in iTunes or Windows Media Player and automatically synced to your mobile device. Each recording is created using your choice of ZoomText voices or any other voices available on your system.
ZoomText Background Reader
ZoomText’s Background Reader allows you to listen to documents, webpages, email, etc. while you simultaneously perform other tasks. You simply select the text you want to listen to and press the Background Reader hotkey, Background Reader begins reading the text while you go about other work. At any time you can pause and resume reading and skim forward and backward by word or sentence.
Reading zones let you instantly see and hear selected locations in an application window. For example; your database application may display a dozen or more fields of information. In your normal work flow you may be interested in only a few of these fields. With reading zones, you can instantly see and/or hear these select fields with the press of a hotkey.
You can create up to 10 reading zones for each of your applications. As you open and switch applications, zones defined for the active application are automatically loaded and ready to use.
Full Internet Accessibility
ZoomText reads any web page, in the proper reading order. You can read automatically or manually navigate by word, line, sentence and paragraph.
Navigation keys make it easy to read while creating and editing documents. With simple commands you can read by character, word, line, sentence and paragraph, even while selecting text.
Each key or word that you type is automatically spoken. You can choose to have all keys spoken or only selected groups of keys. Typing Echo allows you to hear the keys and words that you type. You can choose to have individual keys, words, or both spoken. Whatever your choice, you’ll be able to type with greater speed and accuracy.
Mouse Echo automatically reads text beneath the mouse pointer. As you move the pointer across the screen, single words or complete lines of text are echoed. Mouse echo is great for exploring the layout of your desktop and applications, or for spot reading in documents, web pages and email.
The SpeakIt tool allows you to read selected areas of the screen by clicking or dragging the mouse.
Special Application Support
Built-in support for popular applications – including Internet Explorer (IE 10 supported in ZoomText 10.1 for Windows 8), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook; Office 2013 is supported in ZoomText 10.1), Adobe, Firefox, OpenOffice, iTunes and Java – allow you to read and navigate your documents with 100% accuracy.
Powerful Zoom Windows
8 different zoom windows allow you to choose which part of the screen is magnified. A zoom window displays a magnified view of the computer screen. You can think of a zoom window as a magnifying glass held in front of the screen. A zoom window only displays a portion of the screen at any one time, but by scrolling its magnified contents, you can view any area of the screen. ZoomText provides eight zoom window types: Full, Overlay, Lens, Line and four Docked positions. Each of these windows offer a unique way of viewing what is on the screen. At any time, you can switch zoom window types to accommodate a different task or application environment.
Enhanced Screen Colors
Innovative color controls improve screen clarity and reduce eyestrain. Special effects include color dyes, two-color modes and replacement of problem colors.
- Multiple Monitor Support
- Welcome to ZoomText 11
- ZoomText 11 New Modern Toolbar
- ZoomText 11 New Command Keys
- ZoomText 11 New App Reader
- Windows 10, 8.1 or 7 with Service Pack 1 (or later).
- Processor: 2 GHz i3 dual core processor or similar. i5 or i7 recommended.
- 4 GB Ram. 8 GB recommended.
- Video/Graphics card or integrated graphics with support for DirectX 10 or higher.
- Hard drive space for ZoomText: 1.3 GBSSD drive recommended.
- Note: After installing ZoomText, use of hard drive space can be reduced by uninstalling unneeded voices.
- 5-point multi-touch display for touch screen support.
- USB 2.0 for ZoomText Camera support.
What’s New in ZoomText 2024 Magnifier/Reader
Inverted Mouse Pointer Scheme
The Inverted pointer scheme is a new pointer enhancement available in ZoomText and Fusion 2024. When using other pointer schemes, the pointer is always a solid color. You can also increase the size of the pointer, which will cover more of the viewing area on your screen. By inverting the pointer and background colors, it can help you quickly locate the pointer position. Being able to see under the pointer is extremely helpful at any magnification level. For example, when moving the mouse pointer over a black background on the screen, the pointer will change to white and vice versa.
To choose the Inverted pointer scheme, do the following:
- In the ZoomText or Fusion Magnifier toolbar tab, click the bottom portion of the Pointer button.
- In the Pointer menu, choose Scheme.
- In the Scheme menu, choose Inverted.
Note: You can change the size of the pointer using settings in the Pointer tab of the Screen Enhancement Settings dialog box.
Expanded Mouse Pointer Sizes
The Pointer Size setting has been updated for ZoomText and Fusion 2024.
Users often encountered challenges with the predefined pointer sizes. Over time, they observed that the “large” size may no longer meet their needs, and the transition to “extra-large” was too big. This update enables them to incrementally adjust the mouse pointer size to better suit their needs.
With the updated Pointer Size setting, users can choose from 15 different sizes and fine-tune the magnified pointer to meet their needs. In previous versions of ZoomText and Fusion, you were limited to three sizes, standard, large, and extra-large.
To try the new pointer size settings, do the following:
- On the Magnifier toolbar tab, click the arrow next to Pointer or navigate to Pointer and press the down arrow key.
- In the Pointer menu, choose Settings.
- Do one of the following:
- Choose the Customize button located to the right of the active pointer scheme.
- Choose the Custom
- In the Custom Settings, move the Size slider to increase or decrease the pointer size.
New Single Wedge Cursor Enhancements
The Single Wedge Bottom and the Single Wedge Top cursors are two new cursor schemes available in ZoomText and Fusion 2024. The Single Wedge Bottom cursor scheme displays a single blue triangle below the current cursor position. The Single Wedge Top cursor scheme displays a single blue triangle above the current cursor position.
To choose either Single Wedge cursor, do the following:
- In the ZoomText or Fusion Magnifier toolbar tab, click the bottom portion of the Cursor button.
- In the Cursor menu, choose Scheme.
- In the Scheme menu, choose Single Wedge Bottom or Single Wedge Top.
Note: You can customize both schemes using the size, color, and transparency settings in the Cursor tab of the Screen Enhancement Settings dialog box.
Our restructured magnification engine optimizes startup performance and minimizes resource usage, including memory and processor consumption. Another advantage of the redesign is more stability and fewer delays. As a result, you will notice better performance with magnification functionality and will benefit from these improvements in ZoomText and Fusion 2024.
Simplified ZoomText and Fusion Menus
The ZoomText (ALT+Z) and Fusion (ALT+F) menus have been reorganized and simplified. The goal is to make it easy for both new and experienced users to quickly find and use ZoomText and Fusion features. The ZoomText top level menu has been reduced from 12 to 6 items. For Fusion, it has been reduced from 14 to 7 items.
ZoomText and Fusion Settings Migration
When you first install ZoomText 2024, your ZoomText 2023 settings are automatically migrated to ZoomText 2024.
If you are a Fusion user, your ZoomText 2023 magnification-specific settings are automatically migrated to Fusion 2024. Your JAWS-specific settings are migrated if you select the Migrate JAWS Settings checkbox that appears on the initial Fusion installation dialog.
Quick Access Bar Changes
Based on user feedback, we’ve changed how the Quick Access Bar works in ZoomText and Fusion 2024. It is no longer docked on the right side of the screen when you start ZoomText or Fusion. Most users prefer using CAPS LOCK+RIGHT CLICK to open it when they need it. This key combination works like a shortcut menu that can quickly open your favorite ZoomText or Fusion commands from anywhere on the screen. In this way, you do not need to move the magnified area to access the ZoomText commands.
Using the Quick Access Bar via the keystroke, helps to keep your screen clear and tidy.
- You can now use the mouse wheel to scroll while you are in Text View. This should make it easier to navigate through your document. You can keep your mouse in the reading field, without having to go to the vertical scroll sidebar.
- Resolved an issue when using AppReader with Notepad on Windows 11 systems. Highlighting and tracking were not visible.
- Resolved an issue where the magnified view was corrupted after changing zoom levels while running and then closing Text View.
High Dynamic Range (HDR) Displays
- When opening ZoomText or Fusion, we deactivate the HDR filter on certain HDR monitors to improve magnification results. This may result in a slight shift towards more natural colors. A message now appears stating that HDR color mode is being turned off.
Other ZoomText and Fusion Fixes
- The installed Fusion, ZoomText, and JAWS versions are now included in the Fusion About box.
- You can now press INSERT+CTRL+WINDOWS Key+V to copy to the clipboard the Fusion, ZoomText, and JAWS versions, along with information about the current application that has focus.
- Resolved an installation issue where the ZoomText splash screen would continue to display after installing the software.
- Resolved an issue where the Quick Access Bar would continue to display when it was set to Automatically Hide. This was seen while running multiple monitors.
- Addressed an issue where Fusion was not consistently reading the status bar in Outlook when pressing INSERT+PAGE DOWN.
- Resolved an issue where ZoomText would speak despite being muted when starting the ZoomText Camera feature with CTRL+CAPS LOCK+C.
- Resolved an issue where the mouse pointer was difficult to see when moving it outside of a Freeze View window.
- Resolved an issue where configuration files assigned to hotkeys CAPS LOCK+ number row keys 1 through 0 were not migrated after upgrading from one major ZoomText release to another.
- Resolved an issue with mouse pointer positioning. By default, if the pointer is out of view on a magnified screen, you can move the mouse and the pointer will come into view. This is based on the “Route pointer into view when it is moved” mouse navigation setting being selected. It was observed that ZoomText would sometimes do the opposite and move the magnified screen to the current pointer position. This has been fixed.
- In Compatibility mode, when using a zoom level greater than 1x, it was observed that items shown in dropdown menus or lists appeared at 1x while the rest of the screen was magnified. This has been fixed.
- <Click Here to access ZoomText 2024.2310.25> (16.7 MB)
- <Click Here to access Offline Installer – ZoomText 2024.2310.25 (653 MB)
- <Click Here to access Fusion 2024.2310.13 (16 MB)
- <Click Here to access Fusion Offline – 2024.2310.13 (1.6 GB)
- <Click Here to access updates for August 2023>
- <Click Here to access updates for June 2023>
- <Click Here to access updates for April 2023>
- <Click Here to access July 2022 Release>
- <Click Here to access June 2022 Release>
- <Click Here to access February 2022 Release>
- <Ckick Here to access December 2021 Release>
- <Click Here to access November 2021 Release>
- <Click Here to access July 2021 Release>
- <Click Here to access May 2021 Release>
- <Click Here to access April 2021 Release>
- <Click Here to access February 2021 Release>
- <Click Here to access January 2021 Release>
- <Click Here> to access 2021 Pre-Release>
- <Click Here> to access August 2020 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the April 2020 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the March 2020 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the February 2020 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the August 2019 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the June 2019 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the August 2018 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the May 2018 Update
Product ManualNo user manual found.
About New England Low Vision and Blindness
New England Low Vision and Blindness uniquely brings hope through technology, training, and care. We are a full-service assistive technology rehabilitation training provider. We offer nearly 100% of all major electronic low vision, blindness, and software products, multiple assistive technology showrooms and a team of Vision Technology Rehabilitation Trainers to help anyone who is visually impaired.
We provide ‘patient choice’ showcasing numerous technology options from the world’s most respected suppliers, all in line with one’s individualized budgetary limits and personal, educational, or professional goals. We also provide custom training solutions and troubleshooting support.
Widely known, tested, and trusted throughout New England, our team brings 75+ years of low and blindness vision experience. Our talent, technology, and training offerings are unmatched and highly respected. We are an extremely unique and extraordinary resource for anyone suffering from vision loss in New England. We are here to help.
Through our no-obligation demonstrations - either at one of our conveniently located assistive technology showrooms or in their home, office, or school - clients experience a relaxed 2-hour no-obligation personal demonstration of almost 100% of all low vision and blindness technologies available on the market.
To learn more about how we Bring Hope to people who are blind or with low vision, contact a Technology Specialist at New England Low Vision and Blindness please call our toll-free number 888-211-6933 or email us at email@example.com. You can also use the form above to request information about our services or a no-obligation demonstration on this or any of our products.