Low Vision and Blindness
Training for Schools
We Offer 3 Services (AND we come to you):
1. Comprehensive Assistive Technology Evaluations
2. Assistive Technology Evaluations
3. Training at School
1. Comprehensive Assistive Technology Evaluation
A Comprehensive Assistive Technology Evaluation is a key component to the IEP (Individual Education Program) for any student who has low vision or blindness.
Our extensive Comprehensive Assistive Technology Evaluation is designed to supplement the overall educational plan for special needs students. Our primary goal is to identify what type or combination of assistive technology will be the most appropriate for the needs of the student.
Schools hire our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts, typically at the invitation of the TVI, to provide a Comprehensive Assistive Technology Evaluation.
- We drive to your location and perform a Comprehensive Assistive Technology Evaluation and assessment in partnership with the student’s existing IEP team.
- We work alongside the Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI) , and Low Vision Optometrist to make sure that each evaluation is customized and specific to the special education and related services the student needs.
- When requested or necessary, we sit in on IEP meetings to advocate for visually impaired students.
Request more information about our Comprehensive Assistive Technology Evaluation Services.
2. Assistive Technology Evaluations
Assistive Technology Evaluations are less comprehensive, and takes about two (2) hours to perform. Prior to scheduling we consult with the Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI), or primary member of the student support team to identify basic history, eye condition, technology experience and goals of the student.
After the phone consultation, we schedule an assistive technology evaluation at the school, to include “everyone” (ie: Student, Mom & Dad, TVI, COMS, SPED, AT Support, Social Worker, Principal, etc.)
At the assistive technology evaluation, we come with several leading technologies from the industry’s leading manufacturers, for the student to test, trial, and explore.
Request more information about our Assistive Technology Evaluation Services.
3. Training at School
Once assistive technology is procured, often students need training at school. Frequently the TVI is able to provide training on assistive technology. We are hired as added “firepower” to supplement the increasing demand for training on assistive technology.
We are able to provide training on any of the low vision and blindness technology we offer, plus mainstream accessibility features on iOS, Android, PC, Mac, and Smart Home.
Request more information about our Training at School services.
Summary of Low Vision and BlindnessEducation Training Services
Our specialized Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts partner with students, teachers and schools to empower students who are blind or visually impaired to engage in learning. We assess needs, recommend low vision and blindness technology rehabilitation devices, set up low vision and blindness technology rehabilitation systems and provide low vision and blindness technology rehabilitation training for students who are blind or visually impaired and the education professionals who work with them. We have a particular focus for fulfilling the low vision or blindness technology assessment of the students individualized education program (I.E.P).
Our rehabilitation training services enable students and teachers to use technology to get the student who is blind or visually impaired immediate access to tests, notes, presentations, etc. and to have the same equal access to educational information as their peers.
Our specialized Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts DO NOT TAKE THE PLACE OF TVI, instead we partner with the TVI, elementary, middle, high schools and higher learning institutions to bring low vision and blindness rehabilitation technology and training services to assist:
- K-12 Students
- College Students and Universities
- Educational Professionals
- Classroom Teachers
- Teachers Visually Impaired students (TVIs)
- Teachers of Students with Special Needs
- Teachers of High School Students in Transition
- Rehabilitation Specialists
- Vision Counselors
- Occupational Therapists
- Low Vision Therapists
- Orientation and Mobility Instructors
- Eye Care Professionals
Request More Information About Our Education Training Services
Low Vision and Blindness Technology Training Services for Students, Teachers and Schools
We cater to a broad spectrum of visually impaired technology users, including K-12 students, college students, Teachers of the Visually Impaired (TVIs) and educational professionals.Our specialized Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts provide support, resources, trainings and problem solving to help teachers, students and TVIs.
We offer the following services to help low vision, blind and visually impaired students gain a sense of independence and learn to compensate for their vision loss:
Customized Low Vision and Blindness Evaluations & Assessments for Students & Schools
Whether it is a K-12 or college student, our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts work to fully understand the personal needs of the student and work in collaboration with the student’s team to identify the best possible solution.
We work with individual students to evaluate and determine the most appropriate technologies, to establish realistic training goals and provide personalized and caring training.
Our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts evaluate and provide careful assessment of students, then generate a report making specific recommendations on selection of assistive technology and/or training.
Comprehensive Low Vision & Blindness Training Services for Students, Teachers & Schools
Our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts deliver comprehensive training services for visually impaired students and the educational professionals who serve them.
We provide training services to help visually impaired students to use mainstream products (such as PowerPoint, Word, etc.) to keep them on an even playing field with their peers.
Our low vision and blindness training services for students cover a variety of topics, including:
• The Latest in Low Vision and Blindness Technology
• How to Set-up and Configure Equipment
• How Best to Use Equipment
• How to Create/Print Documents
• Key Commands for Screen Readers
• iPads, Apps, iPhones, Tablets and Other Devices For Vision Loss
• Much, more…
Given the wide variety of low vision and blindness aids and software products on the market, our recommendations cover all the products we sell as well as other products in the marketplace.
Our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts receive no commission on any product they recommend, so they can freely recommend the best possible solution for you no matter who the manufacturer is.
We are here when you need us. Call us with any vision loss challenge, for any student, in any learning environment. As a consultant, we work as part of your team to find the best solution.
Our specialized Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts help teachers understand how to communicate with blind and visually impaired students. We help Teachers of the Visually Impaired (TVIs) and educational professionals that need a little coaching to understand the latest in emerging blind and low vision technology.
Do you have a vision loss or technology problem and are not sure how to solve it? We work with you to troubleshoot any challenge to make sure your low vision and blindness equipment is functioning optimally and that it is the best solution for the challenge you want to solve.
Don't take our word for it, here are some recent testimonials about our Education Training Services
- “My high school student and I had the pleasure of working with Gloria Stuart, AT specialist from NE Low Vision. My student recently received a Braille Note Touch. Gloria provided us with an initial training to get us started with the device. She shared resources and gave us several tips on how to familiarize ourselves with many of the main device features. Additionally, Gloria was able to answer my student's questions regarding other pieces of AT that would be suitable for his transition needs. Her knowledge and personal experience were very valuable to us. We look forward to our next opportunity to work with her and the rest of the team at NE Low Vision.” -Meredith M., TVI , Paul V. Sherlock Center on Disabilities at Rhode Island College, Rhode Island Vision Education Services Program
- “I truly appreciate working with all of you at New England Low Vision and Blindness. I love how you all work from Scott providing technology demonstrations to Doug’s on-site training the students how to use their technology to David’s essential help with getting equipment repaired. I don’t know what I would do without you all and your support. -Lynn, Teacher for the Visually Impaired
- It's truly wonderful working with NELVB as prior to my connection with you there was really nothing! I think I pulled Scott in when Payton (student) was in second grade, 11 years ago. That was the first time doing so. He came out and provided a demo to Payton's Mom, Grandma and staff at school. We ordered Payton's first Acrobat then and now she will be a senior in the fall, and she is still an Acrobat user! Scott then came out in the summer to run a demo for students and parents as part of the summer program I ran then. It was great and the story just goes on from there! It is all about the kids and that is always my focus.” -Lynn, Teacher for the Visually Impaired
Specialized Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts: A Team Approach
As an integrated low vision and blindness training team, our consultants and trainers bring
more than 100 years of low vision and blindness training experience to their assignments.
In addition to training, our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts
also provide comprehensive technology evaluation services.
Our Team of Known, Tested & Trusted Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts Can Help You Get Started Living Boldy Again!
Whether you are visually impaired or you have a child with vision loss in kindergarten, elementary school, high school or college, our vision experts have the right solution for you.
Years of Experience
Our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts bring more than 100 years of low vision training and blindness training experience at homes, in schools, and with veterans and agencies to their assignments.
Unique Team Approach
Our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation team works together to cross train and share the latest innovations in low vision and blindness technology, as well as the changing low vision and blindness needs for educators, students, veterans, government agencies and programs. We work with you and your team to share our knowledge to help you become a practiced and skilled authority.
Because our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts receive no commission on any product(s) they recommend, they remain unbiased and can freely recommend the best possible solution for you no matter who the manufacturer is.