MCB (SR) Training Contract Referral Page
MCB (SR) Training Contract — BD-23-1065-MCB1-1-78217
Trainings are provided at no cost for approved MCB (SR) consumers.
This training is made possible by a 2022-2023 Massachusetts Commission for the Blind contract to the Polus Center for Social & Economic Development, Inc., a Massachusetts-based 501(c)3 non-profit who is partnering with New England Low Vision and Blindness to provide comprehensive Individual Supportive Assistive Technology Training (ISATT). For any questions about the contract or the Polus Center, please contact Theresa E. Kane, Ph.D., Executive Director, U.S. Programs, Polus Center for Social and Economic Development, Inc., email@example.com.
Submit a Referral
To submit a referral, complete the form below or download the PDF version of the form and email it to our team.
The form below will ask for your MCB Counselor. If you don't have a Counselor, you just need to contact Massachusetts Commission for the Blind:
MCB Referral Form
Independent Living Training Services
The in-home comprehensive training curriculum provides the MCB person receiving training/services with extensive strategies to help adjust to low vision and blindness. The goal of the training is to provide the MCB person receiving training/services with transferrable skills that will lead them to be able to live independently and thrive in community settings.
Training services include but are not limited to:
- Low Vision Technology - Electronic Video Magnifiers (Portable, Non-Portable and Computer-based)
- Blindness Technology - Braille Notetakers, Braille Displays, Victor Reader Stream, Embossers
- Smart Homes - Primarily Alexa, and devices compatible with Alexa
- PC, Mac, iOS, Android Accessibility functions
- Screen Readers - ZoomText, JAWS & Fusion
- Training on “almost anything"
In summary, by utilizing technology, our trainers work one-on-one to help the MCB person receiving training/services who are blind or visually impaired gain a sense of independence and learn to compensate for their vision loss.
Our comprehensive technology and training services are mostly done inside the home of the person receiving training/services. “We come to you” in any geographical area of the Commonwealth of MA. The person receiving training/service also has the option of coming to NELVB corporate office in Worcester, MA to receive technology and training services.
As applicable, we can assist with introducing independent living techniques, strategies for increased literacy speed, help with diabetes self-management, keyboard training, etc. We pride ourselves on helping in the most challenging of circumstances, figuring out often creative methods to help the MCB person receiving training/services achieve their goals.
Our 6-Step Low Vision and Blindness Expert Training Services Include:
1. Careful Assessments & Evaluations
Whether you are at home, a student or a working professional, our Vision Technology Rehabilitation and Training Experts work to fully understand your individual vision loss needs and work with you to find the best possible technology and training solution.
2. Customized, Unbiased Recommendations
Our Vision Technology Rehabilitation and Training Experts give you a customized solution based on your unique needs and all the options available. Our Vision Technology Rehabilitation and Training Experts remain neutral and can freely recommend the best possible solution for you no matter who the manufacturer is because they receive no commission on any product(s) they recommend.
3. Help with TechnologySet-up & Configuration
No more fumbling to open boxes, our Vision Technology Rehabilitation and Training Experts take care of everything, coming to your location to help you set-up and configure your low vision and blindness aids to best suit your needs and working environment.
4. Personalized TrainingServices
Given the wide variety of low vision and blindness aids and software products on the market, our training services cover nearly all the products in the marketplace to help you become an expert at using your low vision and blindness aids no matter where you get them.
5. Troubleshooting ServicesBy Experts
Run into a vision loss or technology problem and are not sure how to solve it? Our Vision Technology Rehabilitation and Training Experts work with you to troubleshoot any challenge and make sure your low vision and blindness equipment is functioning optimally
6. Detailed Reporting& Documentation
Paperwork is still a key ingredient to completing cases. After evaluating, our Vision Technology Rehabilitation and Training Experts provide careful assessments, then generate reports (when needed) making recommendations on the selection of technology and training.
Don't take our word for it, here are some recent testimonials about our Education Training Services
- “My high school student and I had the pleasure of working with Gloria Stuart, AT specialist from NE Low Vision. My student recently received a Braille Note Touch. Gloria provided us with an initial training to get us started with the device. She shared resources and gave us several tips on how to familiarize ourselves with many of the main device features. Additionally, Gloria was able to answer my student's questions regarding other pieces of AT that would be suitable for his transition needs. Her knowledge and personal experience were very valuable to us. We look forward to our next opportunity to work with her and the rest of the team at NE Low Vision.” -Meredith M., TVI , Paul V. Sherlock Center on Disabilities at Rhode Island College, Rhode Island Vision Education Services Program
- “I truly appreciate working with all of you at New England Low Vision and Blindness. I love how you all work from Scott providing technology demonstrations to Doug’s on-site training the students how to use their technology to David’s essential help with getting equipment repaired. I don’t know what I would do without you all and your support. -Lynn, Teacher for the Visually Impaired
- It's truly wonderful working with NELVB as prior to my connection with you there was really nothing! I think I pulled Scott in when Payton (student) was in second grade, 11 years ago. That was the first time doing so. He came out and provided a demo to Payton's Mom, Grandma and staff at school. We ordered Payton's first Acrobat then and now she will be a senior in the fall, and she is still an Acrobat user! Scott then came out in the summer to run a demo for students and parents as part of the summer program I ran then. It was great and the story just goes on from there! It is all about the kids and that is always my focus.” -Lynn, Teacher for the Visually Impaired
Specialized Low Vision TechnologyRehabilitation Experts: A Team Approach
As an integrated low vision and blindness training team, our consultants and trainers bring more than 100 years of low vision and blindness training experience to their assignments. In addition to training, our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts also provide comprehensive technology evaluation services.
Our Team of Known, Tested & Trusted Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts Can Help You Get Started Living Boldy Again!
Years of Experience
Our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts bring more than 100 years of low vision training and blindness training experience at homes, in schools, and with veterans and agencies to their assignments.
Unique Team Approach
Our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation team works together to cross train and share the latest innovations in low vision and blindness technology, as well as the changing low vision and blindness needs for educators, students, veterans, government agencies and programs. We work with you and your team to share our knowledge to help you become a practiced and skilled authority.
Because our Low Vision Technology Rehabilitation Experts receive no commission on any product(s) they recommend, they remain unbiased and can freely recommend the best possible solution for you no matter who the manufacturer is.