JAWS Screen Reader – Home Edition
All software purchases are available in digital download format only – per the manufacturer. We no longer ship a CD-Rom.
JAWS—The World’s Most Popular Windows Screen Reader
JAWS (Job Access With Speech) is the world’s most popular screen reader, developed for computer users whose vision loss prevents them from seeing screen content or navigating with a mouse. JAWS provides speech and Braille output for the most popular computer applications on your PC.
JAWS Home Edition (Non-Commercial Use Only) can be used with all 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows® 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista® along with Windows Server 2008 and 2012.
Note: Early versions of JAWS can also be used for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 if needed.
JAWS is also available with an option to add Remote Access (RA). Remote access provides support for Remote Desktop, Terminal Server, and software like Citrix Program Neighborhood allowing you to establish a connection from your computer to another computer and run programs as if you were sitting at that computer’s keyboard.
What’s new in JAWS 2020 Screen Reading Software:
- Reduced Double Speaking of Form Control Prompts
- Zoom Meeting Scripts Added for an Improved Experience
- Enhanced JAWS and Invisible Cursor Support for Windows 10 Universal Apps
- Convenient OCR Updated to Use the Latest OmniPage
- Virtual Cursor Toggle Now Tab Specific in Google Chrome
- Contracted Braille Input Enhancements
- Updated JAWS Basic Training
- Toggle JAWS Sounds in Speech On Demand
- Filter Control Characters in Braille
- Updated BraillePen Display Driver
- General Changes in Response to Customer Requests
- Improved JAWS and Fusion Installation for Multi-Lingual Computers and Applications
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Should I remove my existing version of JAWS before installing JAWS 2020?
Answer: This is not necessary and many users choose to keep multiple versions on their system. Once you find that you are no longer using the prior version, and everything is working well with the new version, you may uninstall the old version but do not remove shared components.
Question: If I recently received JAWS 2019, how do I get JAWS 2020?
Answer: If you purchased JAWS 2019 after September 1, 2019, you can download the JAWS 2020 release for free from the Freedom Scientific website. To verify if you are entitled to the current version, visit the SMA and Upgrade Pricing page and enter your serial number.
Question: If my SMA expires, will I receive a notice?
Answer: Customers in the U.S. will receive notification in the mail shortly after the JAWS 2020 release. The envelope will have a Braille label on the outside, and it will contain an SMA Renewal letter explaining the process in print and Braille. You can also renew your SMA online using the SMA and Upgrade Pricing page on the Freedom Scientific website.
Freedom Scientific Releases Version 2021 of JAWS, ZoomText, and Fusion
Freedom Scientific is excited to announce the annual releases of the 2021 versions of leading screen access products, JAWS® for Windows, ZoomText®, and Fusion™. This release includes a New Voice Assistant, updated Picture Smart and Convenient OCR features, improved support for MS Teams and Office applications, and all the latest releases of Windows® 10.
Significant new features include:
- Ask Sharky or Zoomy for help with some of the most common features found in JAWS and ZoomText
- Picture Smart now allows users to analyze images as you encounter them navigating webpages such as Facebook
- OCR from JAWS and Fusion directly to Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Teams users benefit from Improved navigation options and shortcut keys for features like hand raising and ending calls
- Support tool simplifies the user experience when working with Technical Support to resolve issues
The new 2021 releases build on our commitment to advanced AI services from Microsoft and Google in the cloud. Picture Smart feature now gives users instant access to cloud services descriptions of images and pictures discovered while navigating your favorite web sites.
And new this year, JAWS and ZoomText introduce users to new Voice Assistants, Sharky and Zoomy. Using natural speech, ask Sharky to speak faster or slower, turn the Screen Shade on or off, OCR a PDF, or even ask for the time or date. Ask Zoomy to change the magnification level, toggle screen enhancements, or access features like App Reader. Users will benefit from accessing many features without the need to remember keystrokes. Just give it a try.
Meeting the needs of professionals using MS Teams, JAWS, ZoomText, and Fusion 2021 now includes improved access. JAWS and Fusion users now overcome usability shortcomings with scripts helping navigation, hanging up calls, hand raising in meetings, and more.
And when necessary, Technical Support will give simple directions to the Support Tool to extract a complete picture of all the details needed for our team to resolve issues quicker. This automated solution will gather version info from the OS and applications in use, and any logs and user settings available.
Here are links to JAWS® Updates:
- <Click Here to access July 2021 Release>
- <Click Here to access May 2021 Release>
- <Click Here to access April 2021 Release>
- <Click Here to access February 2021 Release>
- <Click Here to access January 2021 Release>
- <Click Here> to access 2021 Pre-Release>
- <Click Here> to access August 2020 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the April 2020 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the March 2020 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the February 2020 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the August 2019 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the June 2019 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the August 2018 Update>
- <Click Here> to access the May 2018 Update
About New England Low Vision and Blindness
New England Low Vision and Blindness uniquely brings hope through technology, training, and care. We are a full-service assistive technology rehabilitation training provider. We offer nearly 100% of all major electronic low vision, blindness, and software products, multiple assistive technology showrooms and a team of Vision Technology Rehabilitation Trainers to help anyone who is visually impaired.
We provide ‘patient choice’ showcasing numerous technology options from the world’s most respected suppliers, all in line with one’s individualized budgetary limits and personal, educational, or professional goals. We also provide custom training solutions and troubleshooting support.
Widely known, tested, and trusted throughout New England, our team brings 75+ years of low and blindness vision experience. Our talent, technology, and training offerings are unmatched and highly respected. We are an extremely unique and extraordinary resource for anyone suffering from vision loss in New England. We are here to help.
Through our no-obligation demonstrations - either at one of our conveniently located assistive technology showrooms or in their home, office, or school - clients experience a relaxed 2-hour free personal demonstration of almost 100% of all low vision and blindness technologies available on the market.
To learn more about how we Bring Hope to people who are blind or with low vision, contact a Technology Specialist at New England Low Vision and Blindness please call our toll-free number 888-211-6933 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also use the form above to request information about our services or a no-obligation demonstration on this or any of our products.