Basic-D V5 Double Sided Braille Embosser
For years, the Basic-D V5 Braille Embosser has been the most sold braille embosser in the world. It uses fan-folded paper to produce single or double-sided braille. Basic-D V5 is a compact and powerful tractor-fed Braille printer as it has always been; but now it’s available with new modern features like Wi-fi connection, embossing from USB memory and braille printing from mobile devices.
An even better Basic-D
Though the physical appearance has not changed, the Basic-D V5 has been updated to include all the latest Braille techniques and compatibility with mainstream technology.
Region defined layouts
Select and save region specific layouts or operate using 1-9 layout options including user defined.
Horizontal & Vertical Braille printing
Emboss Braille horizontally or vertically (sideways) on the page using the Basic-D V5 Braille embosser.
Light to sharpen the design
Light is an important design component in all V5 embossers and a hallmark for its technology level. It both guides the user interface and decorates the embosser.
An enjoyable user interface
The control panel is a local user interface which allows the user to interact with the braille embosser and provides complete embosser control.
Emboss & manage from portable devices
Index Braille V5 embossers are compatible with portable devices. With the use of your portable device and Index’s own idB (free), endless braille embossing options are available directly from your smart phone, tablet or portable PC.
Even better braille quality
The V5 solenoids (hammers) offer even better braille dot quality, a longer life cycle, higher embossing speed and lower power consumption.
idB : Index-direct-Braille
idB is a direct braille printing application built in the V5 braille embosser. It is available free of charge and compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux computers.
Full of truly useful features and endless braille embossing opportunities, Index V5 braille embossers still maintain the most affordable braille printer price comparatively.
Acapela synthetic speech
In V5 embossers the speech feedback is generated by Acapela synthetic speech. This enables easy feedback when controlling the embosser user interface.
Get Index Braille embosser support from anywhere in the world by simply connecting to our remote support function embedded in the V5 embosser.
High quality Braille on both sides of the paper, known as interpoint or double-sided braille, is an Index Braille trademark.
USB host port
Connect a USB memory stick directly to any Index V5 braille embosser via USB host port to directly print braille documents or backup and restore embosser settings.
The Index BrailleApp is a game-changer of Braille editors. It is included free-of-charge, for an unlimited number of users in all Index V5 printers.
- Braille editor with Previewing, editing and saving of the braille document
- Braille layout monitoring, selection and editing
- Monitoring of the embosser, status, update, network, Bluetooth and USB memory stick
- Communication setup, network and Bluetooth
Index BrailleApp is available in all Index V5 printers, connected to a LAN and upgraded to the latest firmware.
Braille Printing Made Easy
By using the BrailleApp and any V5 printer a standard document may be printed in braille without additional software or braille knowledge.
- Index BrailleApp is available in all Index V5 printers, connected to a LAN and upgraded to the latest firmware.
- Supports literary and contracted braille in more than 150 languages (Liblouis table)
- Intuitive setup. The BrailleApp uses the translation and formatting parameters defined by the printer’s active layout.
- Easy to use, no license or registration is required.
- Supports operating systems such as Windows, iOS, Android, Linux, Unix.
- Supports standard browsers such as Internet Chrome, Safari, Firefox.
<Click here to learn more about BrailleApp>
How to print standard documents
- Select the browse button in the BrailleApp home page. Select your standard file (.doc, docx, pdf, ePub).
- Press “preview”. Now the braille text will be presented on your screen,
- Braille presentation is default. It can be edited by six-key-entry where f=1, d=2, s=3, j=4, k=5 and l=6 or any dot combination.
- MIT Ascii. In this window the braille text is presented as corresponding standard American text. The braille document may be edited with a standard keyboard.
- Text representation is generated with the back translation in Liblouis. The text window cannot be edited.
- To print, go to Braille representation, select number of copies/range and print.
- The edited braille file may be saved.
<Click here to learn more about BrailleApp Printing>
Label printing features in the BrailleApp:
- Setup of user defined label including size, margins, position, number of labels etc.
- Printing of single and double sided labels
- Supports Index V5 printers
Here are the latest Firmware Updates:
- June 2022 Firmware Update
- August 2021 Firmware Update
- February-2020 Firmware Update for V5 embossers – Index BrailleApp
- October-2019 Firmware Update for Romeo and Juliet Embossers
Here’s a comparison chart to help you decide:
Product ManualNo user manual found.
About New England Low Vision and Blindness
New England Low Vision and Blindness uniquely brings hope through technology, training, and care. We are a full-service assistive technology rehabilitation training provider. We offer nearly 100% of all major electronic low vision, blindness, and software products, multiple assistive technology showrooms and a team of Vision Technology Rehabilitation Trainers to help anyone who is visually impaired.
We provide ‘patient choice’ showcasing numerous technology options from the world’s most respected suppliers, all in line with one’s individualized budgetary limits and personal, educational, or professional goals. We also provide custom training solutions and troubleshooting support.
Widely known, tested, and trusted throughout New England, our team brings 75+ years of low and blindness vision experience. Our talent, technology, and training offerings are unmatched and highly respected. We are an extremely unique and extraordinary resource for anyone suffering from vision loss in New England. We are here to help.
Through our no-obligation demonstrations - either at one of our conveniently located assistive technology showrooms or in their home, office, or school - clients experience a relaxed 2-hour free personal demonstration of almost 100% of all low vision and blindness technologies available on the market.
To learn more about how we Bring Hope to people who are blind or with low vision, contact a Technology Specialist at New England Low Vision and Blindness please call our toll-free number 888-211-6933 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also use the form above to request information about our services or a no-obligation demonstration on this or any of our products.